Date:      Fri, 6 Jan 95 8:56:42 EST
From:      fcawth@squid.umd.edu (Fred Cawthorne)
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, antwerp@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Desperately Seeking Doc hackers!

<stuff deleted>
> look at our docs, and I'm not very happy with what I'm seeing.  We REALLY
> need to change this if we are to have any hope of really reaching a large
> number of people!  The Linux Doc Project has generated an amazingly large
> amount of very good documentation, and we've basically done squat.  Shame
> on us!

Yeah, shame indeed.
> I take this lack of good doc very seriously, as most of you who know me
> already know, and I think it's time that we all took it seriously enough
> to form a complete team who's only thought is DOC!
>
> Thoughts?

I agree!!!
I have helped several grad. students here at the university install
FreeBSD on their PC's, and I always wished there were a nice doc set
that contained the basic information about running the system, etc...
The installation guide is pretty good for getting them started, but
we have to remember that many of these people haven't really used
anything other than dos!!!  One of the people I work with is leaving
soon, and he wants to try out linux because it has more documentation.
(He doesn't want to call here whenever he has a problem, or something
like that...)  (:
It would be a good thing to get in touch with people who have recently
started using FreeBSD, and find out where they had problems.  I have
been running BSD since 386BSD 0.1 came out, and SYSV/386 3.2 before
then, so I tend to take lots of things for granted...
I don't have a whole lot of time to spend on something like this, but I
would not have written this message if I wasn't willing to put in some
effort.  Hopefully, the load for this thing can be somewhat distributed
between several people.  Please keep me informed.

Thanks,

Fred.