Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:00:47 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        "Ashutosh S. Rajekar" <asr@softhome.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: max kernel memory

"Ashutosh S. Rajekar" wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > Their 3200 only has 1G of RAM; you could _barely_ fit the
> > TCP state for 1,000,000 connections into just 1G of RAM,
> > and have a tiny amount left over for buffers, drivers,
> > the rest of your kernel, etc..  I can't believe that their
> > 3100 (only 512M of RAM) could do it, just based on what I
> > know from the structure sizes needed for the state.  You
> > can fool some of the people, but you can't fool Stevens...
>
> Yes. One of their engineers did mention that memory management was
> definitely a problem for them ... And their bragging number is also a bit
> far-fetched. I bet with the 3xxx type of boxes they can't support more
> than 10000 active connections, each sending/receiving 40k of dynamically
> generated HTML by websites like google/altavista.

My understanding (which is derived from that interview 3 years
ago, with no newer information) is that Netscaler boxes don't
buffer that contents, they just pass it through from and to
the real servers. They also don't have to keep the full TCP
state because the major thing needed from them is to change the
server address in the packets plus update checksums and stuff like
this. My guess is that about 40 bytes per connection should be
enough (say, 2 or 3 IP address-port tuples by 6 bytes, 2 sequential
numbers by 4 bytes, pointer to the target interface, pointer
to the list pf packets being modified, a little bit of state and
some overhead for quick searches).

-SB