Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:54:24 -0700
From:      "Mark Maddox" <MMaddox@TMCDesign.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 6.1 Installation problem

I have an onboard Intel ICH7-M SATA controller with an SATA hard drive
and cdrom connected to it.  I am unable to install FreeBSD onto the
harddrive. =20

=20

According to the FreeBSD website ICH7 has been supported since version
6.0

I have tried putting the controller in Legacy Mode and tried turning
turned DMA off in on boot.  I have tested both of my SATA ports on the
motherboard to make sure they both work with an alternate operating
system (Windows) and they both worked. =20

=20

I have also installed the harddrive in another computer and installed
FreeBSD on it successfully and then (after testing it and booting
successfully on that computer) put it in the machine I am having the
problems with only to have it start booting and then error out with
harddrive errors.

=20

During boot I get this error:

 ad0: FAILURE -READ_DMA48 status=3Dff<BUSY,
READY,DMA_READY,DSC,DRQ,CORRECTABLE,INDEX,ERROR> error=3D0 =
LBA=3D390721967

=20

=20

During install the error I get is Error mounting /mnt/dev/ad0s1e on
/mnt/tmp : Input/output error

=20

ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=3Dff<BUSY,READY,
DMA_READY,DSC,DRQ,CORRECTABLE,INDEX,ERROR> error=3D0 LBA=3D9303631

=20

Anyone have any ideas?  =20

=20

Thanks,