Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 22:08:45 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UUCP and lpr services don't work anymore

On Sun, Aug 24, 1997 at 07:03:36PM +0200, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> According to Andreas Klemm:
> > Outgoing mails are mailed via UUCP. The D files get spooled
> > ok in the D. directory, but the control files in the C.
> > subdir (UUCP spool dir), has the size of 0 bytes although
> > the vfilesystem has pleanty of Mbytes free.
>
> I've not seen this yet on my home machine, still at July, 20th current (but
> I'm worried, all my mail is through UUCP).

If you are not using FreeBSD-SMP then everything should be ok.
I can send mail now using the non-SMP kernel.

So some of the changes in SMP code are causing this ...

> > The data files are spooled properly in the printers spool
> > directory, but nothing get's printed although a cat
> > directly to the device /dev/lpt0 works ....
>
> I have only remote printers and can't get to print anymore.

I can print now again using the non-SMP kernel. Strange ...

> > The lpq command gives me a strange incomplete status line,
> > where only "0 bytes" is printed per queued print job.
>
> I've seen this exactly. I don't seem to be able to send a file to be
> printed anymore since my upgrade to friday's current.
>
> I'm not using SMP.

Hmm, strange, simply switching to a non-SMP kernel cured
all of my problems.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD