Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:10:47 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "James McNaughton" <jtm63@enteract.com>
Subject:   RE: Network throughput

Hi Doug,

  I hate to disagree with you here but DSL service is delivered over
POTS lines that are generally buried in a 50 or 100 (or often much
higher) cable binder that is in no way shape or form anywhere NEAR
CAT-5, or even CAT-3 for that matter.  The 50-100 feet of wire he has control
over is going to be less than 1% of the total cable run of the average DSL
installation (about 7K feet)  It makes absolutely no difference what CAT-level
the cable is going to be as long as there is some light twisting in the pairs.
Remember this isn't Ethernet that we are talking about.

  As far as interference goes, generally the average DSL cable PUTS OUT a lot
more interference than anything else your going to run into.  In fact this is
one reason that Qwest has dropped CAP encoding (such as used in the Cisco 675)
and gone totally to DMT encoding (such as used in the Cisco 678) because they
were finding in cable binders that contained many CAP DSL circuits that in
some cases the circuits were actually interfering with other types of service
in the same cable binder.  This isn't publicized very much but it's buried in
the Qwest documentation.

For ADSL there are 6 critically important things that MUST be followed:

1) Distance of the entire run must be under 18000 feet.  (actually, you can
train at greater distances than this, but the training speed will be so low
that you may as well use a modem)  This of course is the length of the cable
run, not the "as the crow flies" distance.

2) The entire run MUST use the same guage of wire.  A guage change creates an
impediance mismatch at some of the higher DSL frequencies that will harm
throughput.  This is often seen at ancient drop leads that come in from the
outside Telephone Pole to the house - back in the old days the phone company
sometimes used big, thick, copper-plated steel wire for these.  Today, modern
drop leads are all the same guage and they run fiberglass cables along with
the pure copper pairs for strength.

3) There must NOT be any unterminated sections of the cable (ie: Bridge Taps)
teed off of the main cable.  Note that a homeowner can create bridge taps in
their home that will be just as bad as the ones the Telco creates.

4) There must not be any load coils or other inductive loads in the circuit.
(such as an extra 30 feet of cable wound up into a loop somewhere, or a
ferrite bead on the cable somewhere, or passing through a "surge protector" or
some such)

5) There must be zero or as close to zero ohms connection resistance at all
punchdowns or other cable connections.  (screw terminals, etc)

6) There must be no connections from either side of the pair to ground, or to
other pairs.

One thing he needs to do immediately is call the Telco and get ahold of a
DSLAM tech.  Modern DSLAMS have testing circuitry and you can do shorted and
open pair tests on the pair that will discover most of these problems.
(assuming the DSLAM tech knows what they are doing)