Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 08:48:58 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Dan Jacobowitz <drow@chwest.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw between kernel versions

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Dan Jacobowitz wrote:

> > 2.2.5 ipfw will not work with 2.2.2-RELEASE kernels, but will work with
> > 2.2.2-STABLE after August 21st.
>
> What about /lkm/ipfw_mod.o?  Should I upgrade the lkms immediately with
> kernel or wait until I make world?  Does 2.2.5 ipfw use the lkm?
>
> It strikes me as a little odd that the lkms are not included in the kernel
> tree;  wouldn't it make more sense to have perhaps /sys/lkm?  I'm sure
> there's a good reason why not, but I don't see what it is.

If you build a kernel with IPFIREWALL, the lkm is not used.  In 2.2.5
rc.conf and rc.network were changed to so that the lkm will be loaded if
required.  Since lkms are loaded early in the boot process, they need to
be available before /usr and other filesystems are mounted, hence /lkm
needs to be in the root partition.

Danny

/*  Daniel O'Callaghan                                                     */
/*  HiLink Internet <http://www.hilink.com.au/>;       danny@hilink.com.au  */
/*  FreeBSD - works hard, plays hard...                 danny@freebsd.org  */