Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 02:41:29 -0500
From:      "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No cable modems??

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 11:33:21PM -0800, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 12:34:36AM -0500, Donald J . Maddox wrote:
> > I'm not sure I follow this.  Why would I be likely to be a
> > spammer just because I use a cable modem?
>
> The first case is the actual subscriber who can push out huge amounts
> of spam down their fairly wide (typically at least 120Kb) pipe before
> their provider axes them, if they get reported, for violating the
> AUP.
>
> The other big problem is the poorly configured, default install of
> Linux, old FreeBSD, etc. sitting on the net 24/7 offering wide open
> relaying. A spammer finds them and *pow*.

I can understand bouncing mail from any address that is pushing
large volumes of mail onto your server suggesting spamming.  I
cannot understand rejecting mail based solely on my domain, unless my
domain was on the RBL list or something.

> > Not sure what
> > you mean about funneling, either.  All my mail does go through
> > my ISPs mail gateway.
>
> In the .mc file, you use your ISP's mail servers as a 'smart host' or
> the like?

It wasn't, but it is now...  Ollivier still bounces my mail :-/

> > Apparently they don't rewrite my headers
> > and I don't masquerade.  Are you saying that I should?
>
> They should not be rewriting headers but simply appending their
> own. Have a look at mine. Not cable, but same kinda thing.

See anything wrong with the headers in this email?  Ollivier
(or Ollivier's ISP) does.