Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2006 22:26:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Girish Venkatachalam <girish1729@yahoo.com>
To:        Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Girish Venkatachalam <girish1729@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Accessing device files over the network

--- Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de> wrote:

> Girish Venkatachalam <girish1729@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I want to make a USB flash stick. But I have USB
> ports
> > only on my linux box. Whereas I would have to run
> > bsdlabel from my FreeBSD box connected over the
> > Ethernet.
> >
> > Any way out for me? :-)
>
> Prepare a file backed "disk" with the size of
> the flash stick, copy it to the Linux box
> and use dd to transfer it to the flash stick.
>
> mdconfig(8) and md(4) tell you the details.
>
> Fabian

Thanks Fabian. Marvellous! I should have guessed that!

Anyway this morning I was thinking under situations
where this solution is not appropriate whether it was
possible to access device files just by exporting the
/dev filesystem thro' NFS?

Will that work? Are there any gotchas?

Thanks in advance.

regards,