Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 1997 07:26:47 -0500
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        ken@stox.pr.mcs.net (Kenneth P. Stox), hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tuner/capture options for FreeBSD

Kenneth P. Stox:
 |I currently have the Hauppauge WinCast/TV working with Amancio's bt848
 |driver. It works great. I can select from different sources, ie. Tuner or
 |video in, but I have no control over the tuner. When I get the time, I
 |hope to be able to get the info from Hauppauge and/or their chip vendor on
 |how to program the tuner. It should be pretty simple, but I haven't done
 |it yet, so it is an open question.
 |
 |BTW, this is running under 3.0-current.

Sounds good.  Say, I was reading-up on the Hauppauge board last night and
it looks promising.  It says it does DMA transfer straight from the Wincast
to the video board, with scaling taking place on the Wincast or video board
depending on the video board's capabilities.  Which brings up my main
question:

Under FreeBSD (with your driver, Amancio), what are the requirements on the
video board for the Wincast (DMA transfer, etc.) to work?  Are there any
other potential gotchas I should look out for (e.g. what is "PCI Push"
capability in the Hauppauge lingo?  Memory aperture support?).  In
particular, I'm interested as to whether I can use this with my Hercules
Stingray 64/Video 2M PCI.

Also, I'm interested in getting some programming specs for this board
(tuner, digitizer, etc.).  I've got mail out to Hauppauge, but if you have
a line on this already, I'd appreciate any pointers you could give.

Thanks,

Randall

                          Hauppauge WinCast/TVdbx

Models: WinCast/TV    (Model 400)  .. ~$149
        WinCast/TVdbx (Model 401)  .. ~$199
        WinCast/TVfm                         - has FM radio & dbx-TV

      Card      :  single, short PCI, bus-master, plug-and-play
      Chipset   :  ?
      Tuner     :  125 channel cable ready
      Digitizer :  4:2:2 (from Tuner or Ext Video)
      Sound     :  dbx
                   SAP (dbx vers)
      Jacks     :  Audio-out jack (to sound card)
                   Audio/Video in jack(s) (from VCR, etc.)
      VGA Reqs  :  NO connection req'd (e.g. VGA feature conn)
                   640x480-1280x1024 support
      S-video   :  NO
      BusTransf :  moves uncompressed YUV over bus
      Capture   :  Img: 640x480 max, CCIR601, sq pix PAL (NOT sq pix NTSC)
                   AVI: 320x240 max, 30fps
      Window    :  Resizable
      '95 Reqs  :  Direct Draw 4.0
                   (S/W page has version that allegedly works with DD 3.0)
                   PCI push support req'd of video card
      Features  :  Intercast support
                   Freeze frame
                   Image save
                   VfW drivers for movies
                   Hardware vert interp (use one frame; reduc motion artif)

OVERLAY MODE: Cards officially supported for "zoom" to full screen:
     - S3 Trio64V+ and S3 ViRGE 3D
     - Cirrus Logic 5446
     - ATI VT and GT series of graphics display adapters,

     Video card does the rescaling
     Requires 0.5Meg VGA mem for 4:2:2 VGA image.
     Requires video port on video card

PRIMARY SURFACE MODE: Cards officially supported:
     - S3 Trio32/64 PCI, S3 Vision968, S3 Vision 868
     - Matrox Millenium and Mystique
     - ATI Mach64
     - Hercules Dynamite 128 and other ET6000 based VGA cards

     Wincast board does the rescaling
     Fall-back if OVERLAY MODE not possible
     >= 16bpp mode
     No Close Caption
     TV size limited to 640x480

Other Hauppauge cards:
   - Win/TV (PCI, Bt848KPF)
   - Win/TV-Celebrity, HighQ and CinemaPro, VideoMagic, WinMotion60