Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2001 22:52:52 +0200
From:      Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        NIIMI Satoshi <sa2c@and.or.jp>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libfetch.so.2 should be included in src/lib/compat/compat4x.*

Hello, Dag-Erling Smorgrav!

On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 08:21:23PM +0100, you wrote:

> NIIMI Satoshi <sa2c@and.or.jp> writes:
> > Without libfetch.so.2, upcoming 4.5-RELEASE will lose backward
> > compatibility with previous 4.x releases.
>
> The only libfetch consumers (that I know of) are fetch(1) and the pkg
> tools.  Old binaries will still work on an upgraded system (which will
> still have libfetch.so.2) but not on a fresh install (which will lack
> libfetch.so.2), but both upgraded and freshly installed systems will
> have up-to-date versions of fetch(1) and the pkg tools.
Almost every http/ftp-accessing software (on C/C++), we wrote
here uses libfetch, I suppose your reasons for not adding libfetch.so.2
to compat4x is not very good. We will need to rebuild and/or make
symlink on every machine running libfetch. I think it is not right.

> Moreover, libfetch.so.3 is backward compatible, so a symlink should be
> sufficient to support old binaries.  The reason for the bump is that
> new binaries will not work with an old library.
Yes, it works for now. But if I need sell software to somebody, who
runs 4.5-RELEASE he/she will say me: "What the hell is going on? Your ...
program says it cannot find some library. I've searched all my harddrive
and have not found libfetch.so.2...". And, please note, he/she didn't
know anything about symlinks, he/she is just enduser.

--
NEVE-RIPE