Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:32:13 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FAQ entry on calcru could use updated

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On 2004.09.28 13:15:24 -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
>=20
> I was cleaning out my inbox, and I saw that nobody every replied to this,
> and that nothing was ever done.
>=20
> Is everyone just too busy to look at this, or is there another reason?

Without having studied this in issue in detail I think it just
ENOTIME, at least it seems like something that should be fixed, though
I haven't checkked out the issue to know what the correct fix is. I
would suggest just submitting a patch as a PR the way you think it
should be fixed.  It would of course be even better if you could get a
content review from somebody who knows the time code.

In general the FAQ needs a major overhaul...

> Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:
> >=20
> > This FAQ entry is woefully out of date:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/troubleshoot.html#=
CALCRU-NEGATIVE
> >=20
> > The sysctl referenced doesn't even exist in newer versions of FreeBSD.
> >=20
> > I was going to write up a patch, when I found out that this entry:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/troubleshoot.html#=
LAPTOP-CLOCK-SKEW
> > actually contains the fix that I've used whenever I get the calcru
> > problem on 5.x.
> >=20
> > I would suggest eliminating the answer in the calcru entry and merging
> > the two entries, as the solution is the same on 5.x
> >=20
> > However, I've never seen the problem on 4.x, so I don't know if the
> > technique of setting kern.timecounter.method=3D1 workes or not.
> >=20
> > Comments?  Suggestions?

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen