Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 21:42:28 PDT
From:      "Michael Gabriel" <mdgabriel@hotmail.com>
To:        kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stumped at install

>From kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net Sun Aug 30 07:53:40 1998
>Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 07:53:03 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
>To: mdgabriel@hotmail.com
>cc: FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
>Subject: Re: stumped at install
>
>On Sun, 30 Aug 1998 djv@bedford.net wrote:
>
>=> Greg Lehey wrote
>=> > On Sunday, 30 August 1998 at  2:54:01 -0400, CyberPeasant wrote:
>=> > > Michael Gabriel wrote:
>=> > >> I have recently acquired a copy of Freebsd 2.26.  Only to be
>=> > >> disappointed and frustrated with the install.  I have a cdrom
and plenty
>=> > >> of disk space.  When cued to alloted a certain amount of memory
space
>=> > >> (minimum being as you mention 20M) I'm at a loss as to "set"
the
>=> > >> specifics.  (ie. /, /swap/, /var)  as required.  It seems a
hassle and I
>=> > >> don't want it to be so.  Can you help.
>=> > >
>=> > > Assuming this is for general purpose use, and by lots of disk I
mean
>=> > >> 1GB.
>=> > >
>=> > > /	64 MB
>=> > > /var	64 MB
>=> > > swap	128 MB
>=> > > /usr	what's left
>=> > >
>=> > > you might want a separate partition for /tmp and /home
>=> > > maybe 64MB for /tmp?
>=> >
>=> > Why?  You've specified too many file systems already.  Without
knowing
>=> > what he wants to use the machine for (or even how big his disk
>=> > partition is), you can't recommend anything, though a guess at the
>
>You got a good variety of responses, and I had not thought of
>approaching an install such as Greg had suggested but it sounds prudent
>(of course he did right the book :) ).  By making only one filesystem
>you don't risk ending up with to much space in `/' and `var', and not
>enough space in `/usr'.
>
>I have always used the Auto settings in the novice install and then
used
>those as a guide to setting my filesystem sizes.  It may work for you.
>I will definately keep Gregs suggestion in mind on future minimum
>installs.
>
>Hope this helps.
>

>                                                  Regards,
>                                                  Kevin G. Eliuk
>
>Discover Rock Solid, Discover FreeBSD  |  http://www.FreeBSD.Org

Thank you kindly people for your insights into my dilemma.  I will take
all your information with me when i attempt again to slew the dragon of
INSTALL.  I am very impressed by the speed of the response .  Hope to
send word of my successful voyage soon.
Michael

there is a thin line between a hero and a fool...it is called a mistake.
mg