Date:      Wed, 31 Dec 1997 09:45:21 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Wayne Berryman <reptco@chicagonet.net>
Subject:   Re: BSD Tape Drive Drivers???

As Greg Lehey wrote:

> > I need to find a driver for SCSI Tape drive for FreeBSD that will
> > work with my Seagate Tapestore drive (most software recognizes it as
> > a CTT8000-S drive).
>
> There's only one driver for the Adaptec 2940/3940 series.
>
> > Has anyone else had this problem?
>
> I can't even guess.

Then you didn't follow this list very closely, Greg. ;-)

These drives aren't really SCSI, despite of their 50-pin connector
looking like SCSI.  They violate the SCSI-2 specs.  The violation
might be benign for you or not, but we've had several cases here.  The
last i can remember is that it rejects the WRITE FILEMARKS command
which is mandatory per the standard.

> > Has anyone found a driver that will work?
>
> Sure.  It's part of the kernel.

Well, he's talking about the st(4) driver, most likely.  Anyway,
without seeing the exact SCSI error message, it's indeed hard to
guess.

--
cheers, J"org