Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:24:03 -0400
From:      Brad Lisoweski <blisowes@cgocable.net>
To:        "Cerebus" <cerebus@mindspring.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A question of ports

>Here's the situation:  Let's say there's a program out there that's at
>version 1.5 but the version in the ports tree is 1.0.  What's the best way
>to get the latest version?  Should I just wait for it to be updated in the
>ports tree, or is it okay to download it and install it myself?
>Furthermore, would it be best to throw it into the dists directory and try
>to make install as normal, or should I try and compile it by hand?
>
>In all actuality, I'd like to have the latest Enlightenment and Gnome stuff
>but the tarballs in the tree are a bit behind schedule.  What's the best way
>to stay up-to-date?  (Or should I just go completely mad and hang out in the
>CVS for 'em?)

	I find that the ports tree is 'fairly' current.  I usually CVSup the ports
tree every other week or so to stay current.  However, if there is
something that you must have, then go get it and do it yourself.  I don't
know how well the ports collection handles upgrades of software.  So, if
you've already got something installed, it might be better to do the
upgrade by hand.