Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:58:22 -0500
From:      Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org>
To:        David Walker <davidianwalker@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using Gnome ...

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM, David Walker <davidianwalker@gmail.com> wrote:
> A colleague and I were talking about operating systems and I said, hey

[...]

> If I reboot I get a message to the console that gdm is starting but it
> goes to a console login.

Sounds like a video problem. It usually works right away but it seems
that the video mode and or video driver are not being able to start
the X server and then GDM which will eventually load Gnome when you
pass the credentials screen.

The GDM start script is in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm

You can try:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm restart

and see.

> Is there anything else I need to do?

Absolutely. Get an idea of your hardware by using pciconf -l or -lv to
get the details on your hw

Also make sure you have HAL, etc, Take a look at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

And make sure you have followed all steps. Look at the logs (/var/log
) and see if you can spot the specific error message so we can be of
more help here...

Best,

--
Alejandro Imass