Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2012 04:55:19 +0200
From:      "Jozef Baum" <jozef.baum@haus-mittenwald.de>
To:        "Allen" <Unix.Hacker@comcast.net>, <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   AW: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

I prefer FreeBSD for 4 reasons:

- FreeBSD has true Unix roots, it's not just a new implementation of Unix,
like Linux.
- FreeBSD is a complete operating system, not just a kernel with third party
utilities, like Linux.
- FreeBSD has a development concept which guarantees a much more homogeneous
quality of the overall system than Linux.
- FreeBSD has a license agreement which offers much more freedom than the
GPL, which applies to Linux.

However, there is much more documentatíon availabe to start with Linux than
with FreeBSD.

The problem of FreeBSD is not its technical quality, but the complete lack
of any efficient marketing.

FreeBSD people seem to think that, because FreeBSD is a superior product,
people will use it. However, society doesn't work this way.

FreeBSD has to convince users of its benefits they can appreciate (not
extremely technical onces), and to make the transition to FreeBSD as easy
and smooth as possible for them.

This is definitely not something that can be done by people with a sticker
"Intel inside" on their back, and who take it for granted that newcomers to
FreeBSD know UNIX.

At present, FreeBSD positions itself as a system to which Linux user can
switch.

FreeBSD should position itself as the best product for newcomers to the
UNIX-world.