Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 19:32:20 -0500
From:      Daniel.M.Obrien@att.com
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hackers-digest V1 #880

> > I am so confused as to how to boot FreeBSD from a boot manager, while on a
>
> Could it be that the lack of replies to this message is the result of
> everybody else being confused as well?  I currently can't get near a

I worked with Frank (the original poster) offline.

I couldn't get boot manager to work properly on my system either and I did
rebuild my DOS partition fixing the MBR and stuff.  Boot manager would select
my SCSI drive and load the kernel just fine, but when the kernel tried to
mount the root FS it couldn't and would panic.

I could boot fine off the install floppy specifying the SCSI device
(hd(1,a)/kernel), so instead of fiddling more with the boot manager I hacked
the i386/boot/biosboot code to DEFAULT to the SCSI drive after the time out
and made myself a nice boot floppy.  It boots FreeBSD off my SCSI device just
fine without any manual intervention.

This way I can pull out the boot floppy and not worry about the kids
*accidently* booting my FreeBSD system and flipping the power switch when they
don't like what they see.  (They haven't become enlightened like the rest of
us :-)

I sent Frank my source changes and the boot image.  He is happy at this point.

(I didn't find any instructions in how to make a boot floppy so I reversed
engineered the install floppy image and figured out boot1 and boot2 need to be
put together and put on a floppy...  but that is another story for another
time...)

Peace,

Dan O'Brien
Lucent Technologies (Bell Labs)