Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:45:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   VAIO PCG-C1X

	Thanks for your suggestions on how to deal with this
notebook.  As I recall I said I'd let you know what happened.

	I installed FreeBSD on it from a dos partition, having
used a Panasonic cdrom recognized by Win98 to get the files on
the hard drive.  System Commander works fine as a boot manager
and also worked to resize the dos partition; other people have
reported that fips works as a resizer also.

	This computer has a "Ricoh RL5C475 CardBus Bridge", so
pccards would only work if this is supported (presumably in
3.2-PAO, which I can't get to build).  However the boot disks
work in the USB floppy drive, although a "suspend-resume"
sequence may be needed to bring the menu up after booting the
second floppy.  Although pccards will only work if the card bus
is supported, the built-in modem works as delivered.

	I tried several times to do a working configuration file
for X; xig claims the server (SVGA) doesn't work and would like
to sell you theirs for $200.  However, there's a working
configuration file at http://www.solluma.org/~bookwyrm/pcg.c1x.html.
This works fine.  I did not use the patched server for NeoMagic
video cards mentioned by the author, but it is available in
binary somewhere on the redhat site.

	There are links to XF86Config files for many laptops
at http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop, including
other VAIO PCG's, but not the 505TR that was the subject of a
recent message.

	The VAIO PCG C1X is the "Picturebook" with an
integrated camera.  The camera of course works in '98 but no one
seems to have even tried to make it work in linux or FreeBSD.

	Annelise