Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:00:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/10682: List mirror sites in MASTER_SITE_BACKUP - ftp.freebsd.org is often full

The following reply was made to PR ports/10682; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To: foo@fdt.net
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: ports/10682: List mirror sites in MASTER_SITE_BACKUP -
 ftp.freebsd.org is often full
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 15:22:31 +0930 (CST)

 On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 foo@fdt.net wrote:

 > 1)  Listed extra sites (ftpN.freebsd.org) in MASTER_SITES_BACKUP - often
 >     ftp.freebsd.org is full - minor fix.
 >
 > 2)  Allows you to use bwtest to sort sites in order of speed, if you've
 >     got bwtest - otherwise just uses echo (no sorting)

 I couldn't find bwtest as a port - could you point me to it? This sounds like
 an idea I was going to work on when I got time. Since you've already jumped
 in:

 Things like MASTER_SITE_SUNSITE actually have several dozen mirrors, but only
 3 are listed in bsd.port.mk (and it's not appropriate to list them all). In
 general these are likely to be networkologically distant from you, compared to
 some of the other unlisted ones. Since testing each of these mirrors for ping
 rtt each time you want to compile a port is hugely inefficient, I was thinking
 of a once-off file generation event which runs through all of the mirrors and
 orders them according to connectivity. Then instead of a static MASTER_SITE_*
 variable, it would work through the top 5 entries in the generated file.

 Using the SUNSITE example, I was surprised to find that the next-closest
 mirrors to me in Australia, other than the Australian ones, were in Hong Kong,
 with a difference of 100ms or so between them and the closest US sites. I was
 just using ping rtts as my metric, so it doesn't take a full account of
 bandwidth and connectivity, but it's still an interesting result.

 Kris

 -----
 The Feynman problem-solving algorithm: 1. Write down the problem
                                        2. Think real hard
                                        3. Write down the solution