Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 1997 08:35:46 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.dk.tfs.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul), jb@cimlogic.com.au, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel w/o source? [MOD_DECL in lkm.h]

In message <199701060602.QAA29343@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, Michael Smith
 writes:
>Bill Paul stands accused of saying:
>>
>> That said, what would make this problem (and probably some others) go
>> away is a BIOS-based disk driver, but we've discussed this already and
>> the problems involved in doing something like this haven't yet been
>> solved. (Talked about to death, yes, but not solved.) Getting the kernel
>> to switch to real mode to use the BIOS and then back again is tantamount
>> to turning lead into gold, and nobody seems to be in a hurry to implement
>> vm86 support. (Then again, I'm not even sure that vm86 mode alone is
>> enough to do it.)
>
>Do I need to beat the "why we have no vm86 support yet" gong again?  If
>anyone thinks it'll help, I will 8)

Sure go ahead, beat it as much as you want!  But would mind doing it
outside this time ?  :-)

vm86 support would benefit mostly owners of Compaq and other broken
and/or undocumented hardware I belive, and quite frankly, that is
not something that will ever even come close to my "doing for fun"
timeslots.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.