Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2019 09:33:15 +0200
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NVME aborting outstanding i/o

Hi all,

> Am 04.04.2019 um 17:11 schrieb Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>:
> There's a request that was sent down to the drive. It took longer than =
30s to respond. One of them, at least, was a trim request.
> [=E2=80=A6]

Thanks for the explanation.

This further explains why I was seeing a lot more of those and the =
system
occasionally froze for a couple of seconds after I increased these:

vfs.zfs.vdev.async_write_max_active: 10
vfs.zfs.vdev.async_read_max_active: 3
vfs.zfs.vdev.sync_write_max_active: 10
vfs.zfs.vdev.sync_read_max_active: 10

as recommended by Allan Jude reasoning that NVME devices could work on
up to 64 requests in parallel. I have since reverted that change and I =
am
running with the defaults.

If I understand correctly, this:

>         hw.nvme.per_cpu_io_queues=3D0

essentially limits the rate at which the system throws commands at the =
devices. Correct?

So it=E2=80=99s not a real fix and there=E2=80=99s nothing fundamentally =
wrong with the per CPU queue or
interrupt implementation. I will look into new firmware for my Intel =
devices and
try tweaking the vfs.zfs.vdev.trim_max_active and related parameters.

Out of curiosity: what happens if I disable TRIM? My knowledge is rather =
superficial
and I just filed that under =E2=80=9ETRIM is absolutely essential lest =
performance will
suffer severely and your devices die - plus bad karma, of course =E2=80=A6=
=E2=80=9C ;-)

Kind regards,
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH			Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Kaiserallee 13a			Tel.: 0721 9109-0 Fax: -100
76133 Karlsruhe			info@punkt.de	http://punkt.de
AG Mannheim 108285		Gf: Juergen Egeling