Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 15:24:00 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: ports/12463: Update: Fvwm2 to 2.2.2

[I've Cc'd Nik on this since he's not subscribed to -ports, but he's
the -doc guy and may have some brilliant insights :-].

On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 02:09:22PM -0400, Doug wrote:

> >  The "A " seems to add very little to the comment.
>
> 	It adds nothing to the comment, but it does add a great deal of
> readability for just two characters. My vote == bad idea.

Are you reading it in context, or are you just reading the comment?

Try having a look through one of the categories at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/.  It's not so bad now because a lot of
the ports don't include a preceeding "A" or similar, but notice that
reading them quickly becomes annoying (not at first, though).

For example,

   [104]xephem-3.2.2
          An interactive astronomical ephemeris program

   [2]ephem-4.28
          An interactive terminal-based astronomical ephemeris program

   [2]WSoundPrefs-1.0.2
          A utility for configuring sounds to play for Window Maker
          events

  [21]ascd-0.12.1
          A dockable cd player for AfterStep or WindowMaker

   [46]cdd-1.0
          A cd audio track extraction program from Charles Henrich

   [528]oneko-1.2
          A cat chasing a mouse all over the screen

And notice that it's possible to add "A " to a _lot_ of the comments
that currently don't have it, using the same argument that use just
used.

Now, for some of the comments the "A " is needed.

For example, the following could be confusing without "A ",

   [70]wmspaceweather-1.04
          A DockApp that shows the weather at geosynchronous orbit

   [351]ja-nethack-1.0.5.19970924
          A dungeon explorin', slashin', hackin' game

   [504]nethack-3.2.2
          A dungeon explorin', slashin', hackin' game

[Notice that in the first, the word "that" would be a good tip-off for
 an automated program to leave this comment alone].

But, read the comments in the games category.  Notice that it's
possible to add "A " in front of virtually every comment.  Every
comment.  I'm not convinced that doing so would increase the
readability one bit.

The ideal pkg/COMMENT, I think, is a type of verb phrase, in the
imperitive.

  [462]luna-1.9
          Display her phase

   [585]unclutter-8
          Remove idle cursor image from screen

   [1396]wget-1.5.3
          Retrieve files from the 'net via HTTP and FTP

   [612]viz-1.1.1
          Convert invisible (binary) characters to a visible form

   [40]bounce-1.0
          Bounce tcp connections to another machine/port

As an example of a verb phrase using the wrong tense,

   [1290]tcplist-2.2
          Lists tcp connections to/from the local machine (+username on
          both sides)

But it's sometimes hard to write a COMMENT like this, and the vast
majority of comments are simply noun phrases, sometimes preceeded by
"A ".

   [1389]web500gw-2.1b2
          HTTP gateway to LDAP-based directories

   [2]SSLtelnet-0.13
          SSL enhanced telnet/telnetd

   [45]bro-0.5a
          System for detecting Network Intruders in real-time

  [50]bugs-1.8.1
          Great cryptography library and sample programs

The vast, _vast_ majority of comments are just nouns of this form.
Consider that it is possible to add "A " or "The " to each single one
of them.  This comes pretty close to simply prepending "A " in front
of every pkg/COMMENT.

And, of course, some comments are just useless.  :)

   [2]Motif-2.1.10
          Motif

I'm willing to accept that I'm just unusual with respect to really
detesting all the "A "s, but you've got to work a little harder than
that to convince me.

I'm also considering that maybe I should've made an exception and not
capitalized "perl5" when it appears at the start of a comment.

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.