Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:08:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        CGiordano@ids.net
Subject:   Re: preventing cvsup from replacing /usr/ports symlink?

In article <3A6C5E6C.3E84EAC0@ids.net>, Christopher M. Giordano
<CGiordano@ids.net> wrote:

> This happened to me two days ago (jan 20, 1030 AM), and it always
> seems to occur when re-cvsup'ing following a failed cvsup.  In
> this case, the first attempt failed with a message like:  "Updater
> failed: unable to delete file archivers/arc/Makefile: no such file
> or directory", which in itself seemed odd, since I was starting with
> a full copy of the ports tree.

I agree, that is very odd.  It's especially odd since CVSup should
have no reason to want to delete that particular file.  It's alive and
well in the CVS repository. :-}

> Restarting cvsup then filled /usr/ports tree in my /usr filesystem
> rather than the linked filesystem.  I assume the link is deleted
> upon the first failure, but I have no evidence of this.
>
> I know that's _very_ little to go on....

True, but it does help.  Thanks to you and the others who sent
information about this.

Questions for those who have seen this happen:

1. You're using checkout mode, right?
2. Are you using "-s" on the cvsup command line?

Finally, you can avoid any chance of this happening by making sure
that CVSup's "prefix" setting points to the real parent directory of
your ports tree -- not to a symlink that points there.  Here's an
easy way to find out, if there's any doubt:

    vashon$ cd /usr/ports
    vashon$ /bin/pwd
    /c/ports

So in this case you should have "prefix=/c" in your supfile, either in
a "*default" line or on the same line(s) as your ports collection(s).

John