Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 14:01:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        Ken Ingram <kingram@ipro.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding Hard Drives - Prepping

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Ken Ingram wrote:

> One final question before I move on to -questions.
>
> Newfs gives the 'Warning: 3984 sector(s) in last cylinder unallocated
> /dev/rwd2s1e: 2121840 sectors in 519 cylinders of 1 tracks, 4096 sectors
>     1036.1MB in 33 cyl groups (16 c/g, 32.00MB/g, 7680 i/g)
>
> The disk is 1035MB and 526 cylinders. After mounting df -k reports
> app. 950MB available.
>
> How do I get maximal use out of the disk? Or is the result of the system?
> (If so why the warning?)

the way FFS keeps the disk nice in speedy is that it keeps a percentage of
the disk as `root' only...  with this extra room it is able to keep files
that other fs's (like fat) from becoming fragmented... the default is 8%
if I remeber...

the warning above is because newfs is saying the cylindar size is 4096
sectors... back in the old days when cylindar sizes were constant
throughout the whole disk (now they have zones with different
sectors/track density)... this would allow some more speed opimizations...

the above warning says you are only leaving about 2megs of diskspace at
the end that isn't used...  for this reason I try to hit partion sizes at
exactly 4096...   ttyl..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)