Date:      Tue, 02 Oct 2001 22:31:03 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ALT-<sp> (Was: how to make 'for' understand two words as a single argumen)

In message <200110022357.f92NvnS08486@thistle.bogs.org> Greg Shenaut writes:
: But you have to admit, space is a character that has caused many
: problems in Unix filenames, because of the other Unix tradition of
: space-delimited word record handling.  I usually use an underscore,
: myself, if I want a space-like separation in a filename, but I
: could (and have) used 0xa0 for a similar purpose.
:
: Just out of curiosity, what would be an instance where you have
: wanted a space in a filename and wouldn't have been satisfied with
: 0xa0 instead of 0x20?

Where 0xa0 doesn't exist in the local?  To be honest, up until this
thread I'd never heard of ASCII defining a unbreakable space as 0xa0.
That's because ASCII doesn't define it (but ISO 8859-1 might).  I also
have a bad feeling that this might have implications for NFS file
systems as well where 0xa0 and 0x20 might mean different things to the
remote host.

And what about '"`~<>?[]{}\|)(*&^$ as well.  All of these (and maybe
others) can cause problems as well.

In short, fix the broken shell scripts, not the filesystem.  You
aren't fixing the real problem, just one small slice of it.

Warner