Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 23:19:11 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        Bill Campbell <littlebill@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fail at "make" stage of kernel build

On 1/31/00, 10:43:29 PM, Bill Campbell <littlebill@mindspring.com> wrote=

regarding Fail at "make" stage of kernel build:

> I am having trouble building a custom kernel for my FreeBSD 3.2
system.  My
> build fails at the make stage every time.  The "make.txt" file
attached has
> the output from the "make" command.  The GHOST file is the
configuration
> file used.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

> Bill Campbell

Dear Bill Campbell,

AFAICS, you kernel configuration appears to be incomplete.

Problem I
You seem to have misconfigured your sound subsystem. I canNOT see any
"snd" or "pcm" entry for your sound configuration. Assuming that your
sound card is (?) a SoundBlaster (16 ? 64?), you have two (mutually
exclusive) possibiliries to try:

Solution A)
# Voxware Sound support
controller  pnp0
controller  snd0
device  sb0           at isa?   port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
device  sbxvi0        at isa?   drq 5
device  sbmidi0       at isa?   port 0x330
device  opl0          at isa?   port 0x388

Solution B): in this case, please *comment out* the "controller pnp0"
line
# Luigi Rizzo's Sound Support
device pcm0 at isa? port? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
#fewer features, but much better music !

If you need to learn about the details (which is better at which,
etc.) on the two "solutions", just let me know.

Problem II

"dpt" is (see LINT) the driver for "DPT" (Dec, HP, AT & T etc.)
controllers. I have never used them so far (I only read in LINT about
them), so I cannot even guess which options might work in your case.If
you provide more information, somebody will be able to send you a
working well-suited configuration. Or you might find out yourself by
reading /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT *carefully* :-)

N.B. my fake_antispam_domain =3D=3D=3D> neomedia.it to reply.

Best regards,
Salvo