Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 14:10:14 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cable modem hookup

On 10 Aug 98, at 15:17, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> Not to give away *too* many details...I keep an "open" firewall
> configuration and have tcpwrappers (installed from the port) log and
> reject interesting connection attempts to services such as telnet, tftp,
> and so on.  Note that sshd does its own logging.  Also, I frequently have
> tcpdump running in case something shows up that I didn't think to log, as
> well as:
>
> sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain=1
> sysctl -w net.inet.udp.log_in_vain=1

OH.  I'm new to sysctl.  I just looked at the man pages for inet and found
no reference to the above MIB names.  Where should I be looking for
details of what MIB names exist for a given application?

> There's (IMHO) a very nice writeup by Jan B. Koum at:
>
> http://www.best.com/~jkb/howto.txt

Yes, I've been there, quite interesting stuff, especially for a newbie
(such as me).

My FreeBSD box acts only as a gateway and doesn't do ftp, telnet, rlogin,
etc.  Given that, would ssh provie any benefit to me?

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited