Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2012 12:28:15 +0000
From:      Holger Kipp <Holger.Kipp@alogis.com>
To:        "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
Subject:   Re: ZFS autoexpand when there are 2 raidz2 vdevs

Dear Patrick

Am 05.06.2012 um 13:29 schrieb "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>:

> Hi, all,
>
> during the last couple of years I occasionally increased the capacity
> of raidz2 based zpools by replacing one disk at a time and resilvering,
> subsequently. After replacing the final disk and a reboot (I guess
> zpool export & zpool import would have done the trick, too) the capacity
> of the FS on top of that pool was increased according to the size of
> the new disk. All of theses systems had a pool built on one single vdev.
>
> Last week I exchanged all disks of one vdev that is part of a 2 vdev
> zpool. According to the Solaris documentation I found that should be
> possible. I always assumed vdevs were sort of independent of each
> other.
>
> My observations:
>
> During resilvering the activity LEDs of all 12 disks were showing heavy
> load, not only the ones of the 6 disks being part of the vdev in question=
.

> After exchanging all 6 disks the capacity stayed the same. I tried
>
> zpool export, zpool import
> reboot
> zpool scrub
>
> to no avail.

I used
zpool set autoextend=3Don tank
zpool online -e tank da0
zpool online -e tank da1
zpool online -e tank da7

to increase the size of a raidz2
here from 5+ to 11+TB. Worked without problems.

This was with v28. Please check manages etc. for further explanations.

Best regards,
Holger

--
Holger Kipp
Diplom-Mathematiker

Tel. : +49 30 436 58 114
Fax. : +49 30 436 58 214
Mobil: +49 178 36 58 114
Email: holger.kipp@alogis.com

alogis AG
Alt-Moabit 90b
D-10559 Berlin

web : http://www.alogis.com

alogis AG
Sitz/Registergericht: Berlin/AG Charlottenburg, HRB 71484
Vorstand: Arne Friedrichs, Joern Samuelson
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Reinhard Mielke