Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 10:55:39 +0800
From:      Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>
To:        cornwall@intelos.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle,

Greetings,

  I have gotten the linux version of Oracle 8 to work on FreeBSD before (about
  1 year ago).

  If you will kindly search the FreeBSD mail archive, you should be able to
  find my previous post.

  Also, go a search on Deja news, (groups.google), there are some how-tos
  out there from the linux community that contains detailed step-by-step
  instructions (for a older version of Oracle though).

  (Below is whatever I can remeber off my head, it has been more than a year since).
  Basically, you need 1 linux (redhat is the one I used) to run the java-based
  installation program.  NFS mount the FreeBSD disk to this linux box during
  the installation.

  Once the installation(copying of files) is completed, you do not need the
  linux system any more.

  DO NOT use the wizard to create the database (db assist or something like that).
  It doesn't work (for me, and many others).  Instead, create the database and
  the rest of the steps manually, on your FreeBSD server. (NB: this is where
  the how-tos come in handy)

  Good luck.

Regards,
/calvin

lines with :> are quotes from cornwall@intelos.net's email
:> 	Is there any way that Oracle will work on FreeBSD? I have version
:> 4.2 Stable FreeBSD and would like to install a reliable and stable
:> database package for personal and production usage.
:>
:> Thank you,
:> John
:>