Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 00:38:12 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Penisoara Adrian <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Using MD5 insted of DES for passwd ecnryption

Hi,

  I observed that after installing the DES distribution on a fresh non-DES
system (or when installing from the beginning with DES) the next passwords
created/modified will be DES-encrypted instead of using MD5.

  How can one control which kind of encryption is to be used by the
system for password encryption ? For example I want to use only MD5
for passwords encryption but I need the DES libraries to be available
(because ppp/iijppp needs them -- probably in conjuction with CHAP/PAP
authentication).

  Taking a closer look at the DES distribution it seems that trigger of
"changing" the encryption style might be a new /sbin/init that overwrites
the old one -- does this mean that if I manually "untar" the distribution
but without overwriting the standard /sbin/init I can get the DES
libraries installed but without making them default for password
encryption ?
  Also, from the [DES] crypt(3) page, it seems that the crypt() function
chooses the encryption style based on the 2nd "char *setting" argument
-- beeing that if it begins with "$1$" (MD5 signature ?) it will use "an
exportable format" (presumably MD5 ?). Is there a possibility to "force" a
specific encryption style for passwords based on this feature ?

  Also, another question: beeing that we plan to become an FreeBSD mirror
I'd like to know what's the status/proceeding regarding to mirroring the
DES/KRB/Crypto libraries/source code -- we are located in Romania,
Eastern Europe, so "outside USA" export restrictions apply.

  Thank you,
  Adrian Penisoara
  Ady (@warpnet.ro)
  Warp Net Technologies