Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:01:28 -0400
From:      James F.Hranicky <jfh@cise.ufl.edu>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        bsder@allcaps.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Non-standard root filesystems

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:35:33 -0700
"Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote:

> As far as software RAID is concerned: it's a bad idea, from a
> performance perspective; I don't recommend it.  Note that I'm
> the person who did the original user space RAIDframe port to
> FreeBSD in the mid 1990's, so I'm not just talking out my butt:
> the amount of overhead for parity calculation and storage is
> *considerable*, and makes RAID hardware a *much* better idea.

Perhaps with RAID 5, but with 0+1 using vinum, wouldn't you
see an increase with long enough plexes?

Granted, it's more disks, but it may be cheaper than hardware RAID
(or not, haven't looked in a while).

Plus, just a simple two disk mirror for / wouldn't be all that bad,
considering / shouldn't get heavy write traffic, right?