Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:42:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Peter Boosten" <peter@boosten.org>
To:        stevefranks@ieee.org
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: permissions for www acting strangely

On Mon, November 19, 2007 18:35, Steve Franks wrote:
> Few weeks ago, I installed apache22.  Just wanted to put up some
> family photos.  Whenever I tried to connect, got a "apache doesn't have
> permisson to acess ~/. on this system or somesuch".  The only way to ge=
> around it appeared to be a chmod 777 on my pic folder (no luck with 775=
!).
> Now I restored some stuff from a backup over my photos,
> and now 777 won't work either.  Is there something fundamental about
> permissions I am totally missing?

Steve,

I suppose ~/ is your html_public in your homedir, right?
Apache runs as user www (and group www). So this user needs one way or th=
other access to the mentioned directory (read and execute =3D 5).

Could it be that access is blocked on a higher level, say your homedir?

Peter

--=20
http://www.boosten.org