Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:30:03 -0700
From:      Brian Gottlieb <brianosaurus@yahoo.com>
To:        "Mark A-J. Raught" <mraught@acm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netgear MA401RA weirdness

On Saturday, July 27, 2002, at 05:46  PM, Mark A-J. Raught wrote:
> Brian,
> 	Here's what helped me. This was actually on a Linksys card for me, but
> it was exactly the same symptoms and this fixed it. This is from a
> thread around the 8th of May this year (relevant email attached at the
> bottom). It got me going. If you need specifics let me know and I will
> did up my files (I'm on a windows machine at the moment). I think it was
> just a -p 0 on both of the machines and a -c 1 on the wireless routing
> machine.

I gave -p 0 a shot, but it didn't help.  in fact i tried "-p" with
everything from 0-6 just for kicks.

When i set it to "-p 0", however, all of the 802.11 info (ssid, station
name, channel, wepmode, etc) disappears from the "ifconfig wi0" listing,
so i'm not sure what the deal is there.

One thing i noticed is that the "NIC serial number" from wicontrol
output is "99SA01000000", rather than the "MA41B26185676" printed on the
card, which makes me think that something in fact isn't quite right.
The MAC addrs do match up, so i don't know what to make of it.

But still, when "dstumbler -o" puts it into monitor mode, it sees my
basestation and all the other clients.  But in normal modes, it won't
join my wireless network.

My setup is FreeBSD 4.6, Netgear MA401RA (box says MA401), trying to
talk to an apple airport basestation.  When i plug the card into a
windows laptop, it syncs up just fine.  When i plug it into my bsd box
it just blinks.

brian

ps - i think i'm going to do the low-tech solution of swapping cards
with my fiancee's old MA401, but i'm still kind of curious why this
doesn't work...