Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2012 18:54:47 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Matt Olander <matt@ixsystems.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upcoming release schedule - 8.4 ?

--CFO0SFgG+t1lcV5s

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 08:20:02AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:30:19 am Adrian Chadd wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm going to agree with Garrett here.  IMHO we've reached (or surpass=
ed)
> > > the limit of what is reasonable to ask volunteers to commit their spa=
re
> > > time to.  This is doubly true when we have more than one "stable" bra=
nch.
> >=20
> > I totally concur.
>=20
> This is why I think we need fewer branches so that there is less merging =
to=20
> do.  Even in the bad old 4.x days developers would merge things (especial=
ly
> driver updates) from HEAD back to 4.x.  If we move X.0 releases farther
> apart then developers will still MFC things, the issue is that they don't
> want to MFC to 2 stable branches.

I do not find it cumbersome to merge to two branches. What I find quite
demotivating is the conflicts and drifted KPI/API. So my usual reaction
to the attempt to merge to stable/8 which fails due to conflicts is just
remove the MFC reminder.

I do sometimes reconsider the choice if explicitely asked by somebody,
but I really prefer to not do risky commits to old and presumably stable
branches. I do not have much incentive to merge to 8 anyway, except a
warm feeling of providing some relief to a peer.

So having long-living stable/8 and not having stable/9 means not doing
some merges at all, instead of doing just one merge. YMMV.

--CFO0SFgG+t1lcV5s

--CFO0SFgG+t1lcV5s--