Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 07:51:54 -0800
From:      "John M. Purser" <jpurser@wilcofarmers.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Newbies (E-mail)" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FW: One step forward....

[John M. Purser]  On Thursday, March 26, 1998 1:15 PM, Sue Blake
[SMTP:sue@welearn.com.au] wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 1998 at 08:43:29AM -0800, John M. Purser wrote:
>
> Famous last words :-)

Oh they won't be my last ones by an means!  I will whip this big ugly hairy
bastard if it's the last thing I do!  At least with the new manual and this
mailing list I should be able to.

> Ooohh, isn't it awful when that happens, slog, slog, lots of helpful advice,
> and it turns out to be something so "simple and obvious"... to everyone else!

I think there will be lots of those.  I just don't know enough to guess right
yet.

> Does that involve /cdrom and mounting your CD there, perchance? :-)
> (BTW, unmounting is discussed in the errata, and details of its location are
> hidden right at the beginning of the book, where none of us thought to look)

No the directory specified in the manual is /usr/src/ports/emulators/linux_lib
and the one I found was /usr/ports/emulators/linux_lib.  I would very much like
to know if any other 2.2.5 users have the one mentioned in the manual.

When I switched to /usr/ports/emulators/linux_lib I ran the make command as the
book specified "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes make all install" but received the error
message "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER: command not found" or words to that effect.  Sorry
I'm at work and this all happened on my home machine.  If anyone has run into
(and hopefully over) this before I would appreciate hearing how they fixed it!

When I ran the make command without FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes it started ranting
about needing linux_lib-2.4.tgz.

> Setting up PPP should be fairly straightforward, and there's a lot of
> extra documentation around. Why don't you work through the PPP section in
> the book first and see how you go? Setting up Doom could be a lot trickier.

I might give that a shot tonight, pray for me and the internet!

> As we saw in your demos (thanks for that!), the problems occur mainly when
> deep into a conversation with multiple quotes. You should be able to edit
> yourself out of any mess, now that we know what tricks it plays.
> Did any other microsoft users here have any ideas for you?

Is this better?  I'm just removing the original portions and leaving your
comments.  Not exactly according to Hoyle but it is better than those forests

> --
>
> Regards,
>         -*Sue*-

Thanks for getting back to me.  Stay tuned for the continuing saga!

John Purser