Date:      Sun, 19 Feb 1995 00:45:32 +0900 (JST)
From:      Atsushi Murai <amurai@spec.co.jp>
To:        julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: NEW_SCSICONF

Well..
> Some of the things that need doing..

> 5/ the cd driver needs code for audio-read (I have that for toshiba drives
> at least). possibly dependent on drive manufacturer.

I have investgated and attempt this area but still not done...  I have
both Toshiba and Pioneer(Sony) Techinical manual.  Long time ago I try
to implement PhotoCD(XA) and CD-audio(DA) as a partitions. (Yes. for
audio/music, just 8 partions are not enough. but you can read them
through the raw device as same as normal file;-)

Anyway we should two things consider as follows,

  1. How to assing TOC ?

     Here is my idea.
     - When new CD disk is loading, it's searching a TOC and
       build a *cdfs* like procfs.
     - *cdfs* contains a TAG - device file for mounting cd9660 or
       Photo CD. and just creat name of file entries for audio data.

     i.e.  ls -l /cdfs0
           -r--r--r--  1 root    operator  3265478 Nov 22 21:29 da0
           -r--r--r--  1 root    operator  3265478 Nov 22 21:29 da1
           brw-r-----  1 root    operator    6,  0 Nov 22 21:29 cd00
           brw-r-----  1 root    operator    6,  1 Nov 22 21:29 cd01

  2. Block size of CD-DA (2352bytes/block)

     Block of DA is not multiple 2. So uio_offset is miss counting
     with current strategy routine and caller. So uio is needed to
     pass and calcurate by  cdstrategy.

     i.e.
     int     cdstrategy(bp,uio)
     struct  buf     *bp;
     struct  uio     *uio; <--- Here
     {
        struct  buf     *dp;
        unsigned int opri;

  3. Require Dyanmic MODE change (DA/Mode 0/Mode 1/Mode 2(XA)) by both
     depend on CD-Drive and a TOC attribute in same cd disk.- It allow to
    co-exist different MODE block specified TOC in same CD!!

  4. Current cd9660 treat a block number as NOT absolute block number.
     (Block number of CD is Absolute block number. But first TOC/partion
      offset is 0. So It's OK with ordinal one partion cd-rom disk )

Atsushi.
--
Atsushi Murai                                       Internet: amurai@spec.co.jp
System Planning and Engineering Co,.Ltd.            Voice   : +81-33833-5341