Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:31:06 -0800
From:      William Richard <wdr@tdl.com>
To:        iratus@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Subject:   Re: NCD X-terminal, FreeBSD and XDM ...

iratus@home.com wrote:

> At 14:35 12/19/99 +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> >On Saturday, 11 December 1999 at 23:45:31 -0800, William Richard wrote:
> >> The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> I could be way off base here (forgive if I am I am not up to date on
> the
> list) but, if your xserver will support 16 or 32 bit color to begin
> with
> you should be able to stitch in the command "DefaultColorDepth  [16 or
> whatever]" in the screen section of your /etc/XFConfig file-If I am
> mistaken I apologise in advance for the waste of bandwidth.   Jeff
> Phillips

Whilst we're all in an apologetic frame of mind, I'll apologise in
advance for wasting bandwidth and leading everyone astray.  I think this
all depends on where the X server on the X terminal is going for
run-time configuration information.  And it wouldn't be XFree86 on
dedicated hardware (unless the X terminal was some sort of i386 box, but
then why not...).

Granted, I'm no expert on X terminals, but I'm envisioning an embedded X
server, one that doesn't have a hard disk or any kind of permanent
storage (such an entity may or may not exist).  By the time the X server
is up and running, it's already trying to connect with a host to do its
display management, and it's done all the configuring it's going to do.
Maybe there's some sort of EPROM setup utility or (gasp) DIP switch on
the side of the X terminal box that sets up the X server's bit depth.
Perhaps the X server can be made to read in a configuration file over an
NFS-mounted filesystem, or after login, or get it over bootp...

As I said, Read The Fine Material that came with the X terminal.

Cheers,
William Richard
wdr@tdl.com