Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 16:58:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE (Wolfgang Helbig)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HSCX wait for XFW timeout (was Re: error message in the logs - 00.70)

Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

> > 	i4b-L1-isic_hscx_waitxfw: HSCX wait for XFW timeout!
> >
> > means, and i forgot to answer that one. This is an indication that an IRQ
> > from the HSCX (the chip handling the B-channel) got lost - most likely
>
> Hmm. This timeout occurs while waiting for the transmit buffer
> to accept another 32 bytes to transmit. I don't see how a lost interrupt
> can cause this timeout. (Even if you have IDE drives)

My theory is, that while waiting, someone else blocks the interrupt for that
long time, that another HSCX transaction starts immediately (by chance out of
the blocked interrupt in which another HSCX interrupt occurs) which clears
implicitely the flag we are waiting for (perhaps i should introduce a
flag signalling that we are in such a wait status, and see what happenes
and who might clear it, but i'm too lazy to do that right now ....).

When the system in question was changed from SCSI to IDE (nothing else did
change) those messages started to occur, with SCSI i never saw a single
such message.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...