Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 17:13:44 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Boot hangs on v9 system at CD device probe

On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 14:54 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I sent a note about this a couple of weeks ago, but have not heard
> anything. I'm really getting a bit desperate.
>
> I have a system that I am trying to upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0. I have
> built it and installed the kernel, but it fails to boot. The boot
> freezes after probing for my hard drives during the probe of the
> CDROM. It just sits there, seemingly forever, though I have never
> waited longer then a few minutes.
>
> The system is a SuperMicro C25BX mother board. The DVD is PATA,
> reported on boot of 8-Stable as:
> acd0: DVDR <ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P/9P59> at ata2-master UDMA66
>
> If I unplug the CDROM, it boots fine, but I really need the device on
> the system, so I really can't leave it unplugged. Also, after the 9
> kernel is installed, my Mk file have been updated so that I can't
> build some ports if I boot the 8.2 kernel. Does anyone remember this
> being reported by others? It was most likely on current, as it was
> probably prior to the release of 9. I googled around, but could not
> find it.
>
> I'd really appreciate it if anyone can point me toward a solution.
>
> Thanks,

When faced with a mystery like this I sometimes go into the mode of
"poke it with a stick and see if it twitches."  If you can get it to
twitch at all, maybe that's a starting point.  In this case, I guess I
might start with seeing if setting hw.ata.atapi_dma=0 in the loader
makes any difference.

-- Ian