Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 2015 14:05:55 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
Cc:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT: Intel Haswell KMS support?

--Sig_/HGdY2sZmM3D=V8C187yRmKM

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 11:19:35 +0000
Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org> wrote:

> On 31/12/2014 20:48, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > Am Wed, 31 Dec 2014 21:02:35 +0100
> > Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> schrieb:
> >
> >> El d=C3=ADa Wednesday, December 31, 2014 a las 08:30:11PM +0100, O.
> >> Hartmann escribi=C3=B3:

> >> Is VESA an option for you until Haswell support comes up in
> >> FreeBSD? The question is serious, because I'm on the way to
> >> install -HEAD in an Acer C720 cromebook with Haswell too.
> >>
> >> As well I do run (just for tests) Xorg with VESA on my current
> >> netbook Acer D250 (which has an old Intel chip) and I do not note
> >> any difference.
> >>
> >> 	matthias
> >
> > On a Lenovo ThinkPad E540/L540 with Haswell i5-4200M or i5-4210M
> > with iGPU 4600 and nVidia 740M Optimus GPU I hadn't success using
> > the VESA driver. The display has a HD resolution of 1920 x 1080
> > pixel, which seems to make VESA unusable. I had to use
> > x86-video-scfb - which is a pain in the ass: extremely slow,
> > keystrokes sometimes pass through from the console to the graphics
> > screen (it looks like this, I have no better desription for that
> > phenomenon). Under load, X11 is unusable since the CPU has to
> > render the whole screen alone.
> >
> > A similar situation arose with Lenovo ThinkPad X240 with high
> > resolution screens and Haswell/HD4600 iGPU.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with the VESA driver. I left that path due to its
> > resolution limitations. We deal with modern hardware and I'm not
> > willing to purchase outdated hardware for the sake of the OS. On
> > most laptops with Haswell CPUs we migrated to Linux
> > - with great success. As a sideeffect things run more smooth right
> > now. Lenovo offers a new type of WiFi NIC which also isn't
> > supported by FreeBSD. The problem with Lenovo is that their UEFI
> > doesn't allow to simply swap the miniPCIe WiFi NIC for a supported
> > device. With most recent and modern products from Lenovo and
> > FreeBSD (even CURRENT) we ended up dead in the water.
> >
> > In general there is a serious problem with the graphics support in
> > FreeBSD. Recent hardware from AMD and Intel isn't supported, only
> > nVidia offers support via their BLOB. FreeBSD dropped also the
> > nouveau driver.
>=20
> This is being written on a machine with an Intel i7-4790K CPU
> (Devil's Canyon, i.e. Haswell) and a Dell U2711 2560x1440 monitor.
> The X VESA driver works fine for me at native resolution. OK, I'm not
> a gamer and I don't do anything that needs fast 3D, but it works well
> enough that my first thought after reading the original post was
> "Haswell graphics aren't supported???" because I'd completely
> forgotten I was using the VESA driver. Using a vt console rather than
> sc I have no problem dropping out of X back into console mode either.
>=20

Lucky you.

I checked again on my laptop and I almost forgot about the endless,
useless and time wasting sessions I spent trying to get that graphics
to work on FreeBSD by trying almost everything in every combinmation I
found and was suggested to.

The VESA driver loads without complain and then it is dropping dropping
due to=20

[...]
[  8681.859]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 14.1
[  8681.859] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
[  8681.860] (EE) VESA(0): V_BIOS address 0x48250 out of range
[  8681.860] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"

[...]