Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 1996 16:22:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Explain this you SCSI tape experts!  :-)

> I've seen people use /dev/rst0 instead of nrst0 and then every 'close'
> rewinds the device.
> If the s/w does a write data/close/open/write EOF/write EOF/close
> sequence on rst0 it will result in the 2xEOF (== EOM) being at
> the front of the tape. The tape will then return BLANK CHECK
> if you try read past that.

We were coincidentally discussing the following scenario in the
office recently - we think it has happened (but not on FreeBSD):
Something resets the SCSI bus.  The tape drive rewinds.  The tape driver
returns EIO.  The application detects the write failure and closes
the tape to save as much as it can, and the tape now looks blank.

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936