Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:22:18 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: networking X Windows with ssh

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 07:32:05PM -0500, Sam Carleton wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD box and two Linux boxes, all have X configured on
> them.  I would like to be able to run X Windows on the FreeBSD box and
> open a xterm from one of the Linux boxes.  The only catch is that I do
> NOT use rsh, I use ssh2.  I tried this (from page 315 of Complete
> FreeBSD):
>
> ssh linuxbox1 xterm -ls -display freebsd:0
>
> I get this error:
>
> Xlib: connection to "freebsd:0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: glob:0
>
> What do I have to change to allow authorization?

1) Lose the '-display freebsd:0.' SSH handles the X forwarding issues
   automagically.

2) Make sure that the SSH server, linuxbox1, has 'X11Forwarding yes'
   set in the /usr/local/etc/sshd_config (or at least that's where the
   option is in SSH, not sure about SSH2).

And personally, I just do,

  % xterm -e ssh linuxbox1

To get a new SSH in a window, a bit less overhead. (Actually, I alias
'xssh' to something a bit more complex than that.)