Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 18:43:23 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   The Flame Blame Game

At 04:01 PM 7/15/2000, Wes Peters wrote:

>Yes, it seems that the BrettGlass attack is an "amplifying reflector",
>like the multicast TCP ACK in the Stream attack.  Since we can't quench
>the source, it seems that rate-limiting the replies is the most effective
>protection.

Actually, the problem is simpler: Certain people seem to be
engaging in what I call the "Flame Blame Game."

Here's how it works:

1) Wait for the target to post an opinion in an online
   forum.

2) Turn the topic (even if it is legitimate) into an
   irritating flame war that wastes time and bandwidth.
   Drown out any VALID remarks, regardless of the source,
   with annoying flames.

3) Blame the flame war on the target and encourage others
   to see him or her as a troublemaker, filter his or her
   messages,  and/or eject him or her from the list.

The target is in a tough spot. If he does NOT respond to the
nasty messages posted by the flamer(s), then the flamers have
effectively silenced him. If he DOES respond, he's seen as
fanning the flames. Either way, blame is laid on him rather
than upon the guilty parties -- UNLESS people see through the
ruse.

I've seen this happen to other folks, on other lists, and
apparently the meme has spread.

--Brett