Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 1998 08:26:08 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <don@partsnow.com>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@image.dk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modifyed ping

Leif Neland wrote:

> I have changed ping to only send 4 pings by default instead of infinite
> (uninitialized, as far as I can see).
>
> SysV and M$ also only send 4 pings by default.
>
> If I think this should be standard in FreeBSD, how do I change the standard? I
> mean, where, and who do I have to persuade to put this into the main
> distribution. Is there a mailing list for discussing such changes?
>
> The reason: I have often started a ping in one window, jumped to watch ppp in
> another, only to discover half an hour (or later) that the ping is still
> pinging and keeping the line open.

I like the continuous ping so I can detect cable problems. Why don't you
add a few -dash options?

	-l 4 : limit pings to a total of 4
	-s 10 : space pings ten seconds apart

I think it is important for the default operation of FreeBSD commands to
remain true to Berkeley Software Distribution defaults. One of the
advantages of FreeBSD is that it is so pure-BSD. We can use the books
our ancestors (!) used. This is a tremendous advantage, and one I'd not
give up lightly.
--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *