Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:13:43 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Brian John <brianjohn@fusemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trouble printing

Brian John wrote:

> Hello, I am having trouble printing from my HP Deskjet 710C printer.
> It is hooked up via parallel port and I can print fine with it from
> Windows.  However, I can't get it to work in FreeBSD.  I followed the
> instructions here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing-intro-setup.html
>

> Everything seems to be fine.  But when I try to test the printer using
> a command similar to this:
>
> # cat file > /dev/lptN
>
> or this:
>
> lptest > /dev/lpt0
>
> nothing happens.  Does anyone have a clue what I might have done wrong?
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> /Brian

Several things need to be happening to have your printer running; besides
the hardware being there (which I assume it is, check `dmesg` to be sure),
you need filters set up, a daemon (usually lpd(8) )must be running,
etc., etc.

There are also a number of quid pro quos about connection type.  Without
a specific filter for PostScript or a specific driver for the printer,
no two-way
communication would work, yet most modern LPT ports are set for ECP/EPP
by default.

I would suggest that you submit a more detailed description of the problem
to "questions@freebsd.org" (a more appropriate list with a wider, more
experienced readership) and see what comes up.  Be sure to include
the output of `uname -a`, note whether lpd is up and running (use `top`
or maybe `ps -ax | grep lpd`), any unusual messages in /var/log/messages
or /var/log/lpd-errs, etc.

Alternatively, many people like apsfilter (/usr/ports/print/apsfilter),
written
by Andreas Klemm, to do most of the config work for them.  I imagine that
the "hpijs" driver (which is bundled into apsfilter IIRC) would easily
support
your 710c.  There is a shell script which does a lot of setup and
testing for
you, and you get PostScript printing, which is much better than simply
feeding ASCII to the line printer daemon.  Be sure to read his documentation
if you try to use it, though!

Good luck!

Kevin Kinsey