Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2001 10:17:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Valentin Nechayev <netch@segfault.kiev.ua>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sin_zero & bind problems

:
:The following was initially formatted as PR, but I suppose it is reasonable
:to discuss first here. There were some vague mentions that sin_zero field
:of struct sockaddr_in may be used in future for some extensions; but this
:future is already expired;) without any real step.
:If the verdict will be to keep current behavior, it should be strictly
:documented to remove this permanent rake field.
:
:
:If bind() syscall is called for PF_INET socket with address another than
:INADDR_ANY, and sin_zero field in addr parameter is not filled with
:...

    Nobody in their right mind uses a struct sockaddr_in or any other
    struct sock* type of structure without zeroing it first.  I suppose
    we can document that in the man pages, but we certainly should not go
    hacking up the kernel code to work around bad programmers.

						-Matt