Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 18:10:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Taylor <mtaylor@cybernet.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   SoundBlaster Pro 2 card stops for video output

I have a Pentium 166 MHz system w/ FreeBSD-2.2-ALPHA and a SoundBlaster Pro 2
(CT 1600) sound card.

The sound is fine unless I have another window scrolling text (as in
"while [ 1 ]; do ps -ax; done").  At that time, the sound seems to
stop playing (the sound process starves?).

I've tried the sound card at IRQ 5 and 7 (always DMA channel 1), with
and w/o the 'shared DMA channel' set on the card.  Nothing else is
using the IRQ or DMA channel that the sound card is on.  I've been
setting the LPT device to the other IRQ [5 or 7].  I've also tried
setting "options SBC_IRQ=5" in the kernel config file (and rebuilding/
installing it).

I have DMA channel 1 and IRQ channels 5 and 7 set for "Legacy ISA" in the BIOS
config (yes, there are four PCI devices in there: de0, video, PCI IDE,
and USB port), so nothing should be stealing the IRQ or DMA channel.

Help?  Any clues as to what is going on here?

[I'm not on the multimedia list- please respond directly.]

TIA-

Mark J. Taylor                                  Network R&D Manager
Cybernet Systems                                mtaylor@cybernet.com
727 Airport Blvd.                               PHONE (313) 668-2567
Ann Arbor, MI  48108                            FAX   (313) 668-8780