Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:07:48 -0800
From:      Brent Hostetler <brenthostetler@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Cc:        pjd@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems setting up gmirror of live system

On 1/4/06, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 03:30:08PM -0800, Brent Hostetler wrote:
> +>
> +> partition to mount to /usr/home. I believe I can stack the Geom
> +> classes correct so
> +>
> +> this should be possible?
>
> Yes, sure.

How exactly do I do this?

Assume I have:

ad0s2 + ad2s2   =3D=3D=3D=3D /dev/mirror/disk0
ad4s1 + ad6s1   =3D=3D=3D=3D /dev/mirror/disk1
ad8s1 + ad10s1 =3D=3D=3D=3D /dev/mirror/disk2

disk0 is already has a filesystem which is mounted /usr/home..

Is it just a matter of:

# umount /usr/home
# gconcat label -v bigdisk /dev/mirror/disk0 /dev/mirror/disk1 /dev/mirror/=
disk2
# growfs /dev/concat/bigdisk
# mount /dev/concat/bigdisk /usr/home
# cp -p /mnt/etc/fstab /mnt/etc/fstab.orig
# sed -e 's/dev\/mirror\/disk0/dev\/concat\/bigdisk/g'
</mnt/etc/fstab.orig >/mnt/etc/fstab

> The output of 2.7 and 2.8 is different, because those disks aren't
> really equal in size. This has nothing to do with gmirror.
> Try:
>
>         # diskinfo -v /dev/ad[46]

They were the same. The error was mine.

I have been able to get the mirror working properly! Yeah!

** BIG PROBLEM ** However, I need to move the mirrored disks from the
test machine to the server and this is causing bootstrap problems. The
drives on the test machine are connected to a pci ide card. On the
actual server they will be connected to the onboard ide controller.
Tried the switch and it gets to the BTX loader but halts real quick.

How do I resolve this issue? Is this just on config file issue or
something with MBR?

Since when done, the machine will be using the onboard ide, two ide
pci cards and a serial ide pci card will I be having issues with the
drive order getting screwy???

Thanks for any help and pointers!

Brent H.