Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:35:31 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Radoslav Vasilev <RVasilev@lirex.bg>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD SMP on 4.x + usage  monitoring

In the last episode (Jul 28), Radoslav Vasilev said:
> Very important to me is are we able to monitor or, at a minum, to be sure,
> thread-enabled application is using more than just a single CPU. For
> example:
>
> 1) I compiled linuxthreads from ports direcotory.
> 2) I compiled Mysql 4.0.18 Server, with linuxthreads , again from ports collection
> 3) SMP enabled kernel
>
> What I observe, with ``top -I`` is mysqld using just one CPU, during a
> single bulky, SQL query.

That's expected behaviour.  MySQL cannot parallelize a single query to
balance load across CPUs and get faster I/O the way Oracle does.  "ps ax |
grep mysql" should still show a couple other idle processes (the
LinuxThreads support ones, plus any other client sessions you have open to
mysql).

> My questions are:
> 1) Is top the proper way of cpu usage monitoring
> 2) are there any other tool for real time monitoring for SMP

"systat -v" is also a good one, which shows you disk throughput and %busy
stats along with a bunch of other info.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com