Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:41:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP discussion moving to freebsd-smp

I don't think I entirely agree that "-current must always be buildable and
runnable" in that I believe we all *did* understand that there would be
breakage for the BSD/OS merge- at least I did. I also would have suggested a
branch myself (despite the pain to those working on the branch), or the
adoption of a better merge/toolset technology (like bitkeeper, for example).

The problem here is that we cannot plan for such breakage, either to assist or
get out of the way, when all we get are edicts that "this is happening" with
no clue as to what the architectural or procedural choices are. But, frankly,
the matter now all speaks for itself.